Pool Manager – Ohio Valley
Manage the supply of international marine chassis in the designated market/region to ensure customer demands are satisfied in a timely, cost effective manner. Interface with Customers, Terminal Operators, Rail Operators, Depot Operators, Motor Carriers, Steamship Lines and others as required to ensure operational efficiency and supply of equipment. Communicate and coordinate with field and home office personnel to professionally manage the needs within the designated marketplace. Manage expenses and other performance measures within the designated region within budgeted guidelines.
- Integrate customer demands/forecast in to comprehensive fleet plan and profile for designated region/market
- Maintain current, accurate and complete inventory records of
- Ensure adequate supply of Good Order, compliant equipment is available to meet the forecasted demand
- Consistently evaluate the inventory of chassis for optimal usage, condition and inventory accuracy – coordinating with other functional groups as needed
- Regularly reconcile aging assets on and off terminal for inventory accuracy
- Develop professional working relationships with vendors, terminal/ramp operations, and other field based personnel required to support the operation of the chassis pool
- Develop professional working relationships with home office support personnel to ensure systems, reporting and other administrative needs are met on a timely basis
- Develop professional working relationships with customers being supported within the designated region
- Prepare customer-directed reports and analysis as requested
- Prioritize repair schedules for the Operating team to maximize Good Order equipment while minimizing total operating cost
- Work with Data Management on suspense issues, movement inconsistencies, testing of new locations, and monthly billing protocol
- Adhere to and meet designated budgetary guidelines, policies and procedures
- Analyze revenue and expense reports to identify trends, errors and corrections – recommend corrective actions as needed.
- Identify opportunities for process improvement, cost reductions and safety enhancements
- Develop, implement and maintain procedures essential to the efficient performance of the designated pool
- Actively manage, correct and control the migration of chassis in/out of pool
- Utilize available tools and resources to enhance management accountability and produce required management reports
- Proficiency and knowledge of computer and systems tools to manage above requirements
- Provide ad hoc reports and analysis on an as needed basis
- Professionally manage phone calls from customers, vendors, terminal/ramp management, customer service and others as needed.
Other Responsibilities as Required:
- If this role has direct report(s):
- Train, review performance and provide support for staff.
- Develop other personnel within the region – strengths and development needs
- If this role has direct maintenance and repair (M&R) responsibilities:
- Lead the M&R function within the region.
- Building/developing professional working relations with area Terminal, Ramp and Depot vendors.
- Maintain relationships with vendors and suppliers
- Negotiate with vendors to insure best possible rates are attained
- Gather intelligence on competitor positions in the market.
- Preferred – College Degree – logistics, operations, equipment management or related field
- Minimum 5 years experience in Operations Management
- Minimum 5 years experience in expense and P&L management
- Minimum 5 years managing in an Intermodal/Logistics/Maritime industry
- Preferred 5 years experience managing multi-location operations.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, undergo a thorough background check and obtain TWIC or Railsafe card as required.
- Conflict resolution skills, ability to meet deadlines, and prioritize
- Must have a sense of urgency and ability to effectively prioritize tasks
- Strong written and verbal communications skills
- Innovative approach to problem solving – attention to detail and analytical
- Able to manage remotely, and in multiple locations
- Must be computer proficient, Word, Excel, Outlook, PowerPoint etc.
- Ability to “influence” customers and vendors to get the desired results.
- Experience dealing with 3rd party labor/vendors.
- Working knowledge of the regional marketplace, customers, operations and suppliers
- Self-sufficient, resourceful, motivated and results-oriented
Special Position Requirements
- Ability to travel domestically as required
- Knowledge/Experience with Poolstattm a plus
- Must be able to work flexible hours
- Must have a bias for action and results
- This position requires long periods sitting behind a desk, performing tasks on a computer