M&R Supervisor – Oakland, CA
Position Responsibilities, not limited to:
Supervise M&R Vendors
- Ensure that all Safety rules are utilized and equipment repairs are performed to protect the integrity of the equipment.
- Perform pre- and post-repair inspections in field, authorize repairs.
- Perform timely audits per month or as needed; evaluate and control quality of repair vendors’ work.
- Without compromising safety, make decisions on behalf of TRAC, pursuing the lowest total-cost options; assessing whether or not repairs are necessary and appropriate repairs are prescribed.
- Determine if repairs are due to damage vs. wear-and-tear items; ensure vendor accountability upon instances of damage missed on gate inspection or caused by yard handling; communicate with vendor/facility ensuring accurate gate inspection notations and yard handling procedures.
- Make certain AAR and FMCSA rules are being employed and followed at all facilities.
- Ensure that Trac repair procedures and approved parts are being followed and used.
- Require and inspect accurate repairs prescribed and performed upon instances of missed or yard damage.
- Review take off tire inventories, ensure accuracy of vendor marking and coding, track tire usage, inspect tires for cause of failure, identify and submit failures for pursuance of warranty credit.
- Review facility bad order/out of service inventories daily and address all chassis within required time frame
- Use of hand held and mobile technology in the performance of the day to day duties.
Invoice Processing Functions
- Review vendor repair invoices for accuracy; ensure all invoices are submitted and received according to terms in M&R Vendor Agreement. Assist Vendor Compliance to re-send to vendor for revision when inaccuracies are found and communicate with vendor steps needed to take for correction; decline when situation is warranted and is justifiable; approve accurate invoices for payment; assist with vendor’s inquiries regarding outstanding invoices.
- Manage 3rd party billing process to assist the Vendor Compliance group.
- Review field estimates and EDI invoices to assist Vendor Compliance in identifying repairs due to abusive handling by trucker; compile work order, TIR, and tire material sheet when needed to begin 3rd party process; communicate with Vendor Compliance group when 3rd party invoice disputes occur.
- Provide expert opinion to resolve disputes between truckers and receiving facility regarding inbound TIR notations.
- Timely review and accurately code manual invoices if needed.
Support M&R Management program
- Periodically assemble statistics for management, including but not exclusive to audits performed, expenses related to a particular vendor or repair category, operational efficiencies, perform physical inventory reconciliations and report findings, etc.
- Maintain daily and/or weekly operational reports designed to manage and communicate operational climate, pace of repairs and any issues impacting Trac Intermodal.
- Perform daily count of available and damaged chassis by chassis size as needed.
- Review rail terminal operator information to determine grounded or mismatched member line containers and outbound equipment forecasts and delays
- Complete chassis reconciliation between marine, rail, and CY locations and Seacastle / Trac Lease system.
- Assist with road calls when received as follows: Follow TRAC OTR procedures that are in place, identify if problem is related to W&T or damage, locate mobile repair vendor, and recommend most cost efficient and safe method of repair.
- Understand each phase of the chassis progression for term lease terminations – COHNA, AU, Approved for repair, AV – and each function related to each status.
- Be able to technically discuss and prescribe correct repairs according to IICL standards.
- Perform joint and independent COHNA surveys – maximize revenue of customer approvals from lease terminations; review, identify, inspect, revise and prescribe correct repairs of chassis to be repaired or scrapped; recognize and apply warranties and assign modifications where needed; coordinate bookings, surveyor inspections, and customer acceptance; QC / post inspect chassis booked for lease.
- Must have a valid driver’s license, pass a background check, meet Rail Terminal facility security requirements, and have or be able to obtain a TWIC card.
- Must be able to perform “walk-around” inspection of chassis, as well as using a crawler to check brakes and axles.
- Must be able to lift and move truck tires.
- Must be able to multi-task, and work independently as well as contribute to the overall success of the team.
- Must have a command of MS-Office package, Outlook, Word, and Excel.
- Must be able to receive and communicate repair instructions verbally and in writing in a professional manner
- Understand and comply with all safety precautions.
- Have M&R experience and operational knowledge of rail, marine and port, CY, and depot facilities.
- Candidate must be free of potential conflicts of interest
- IICL Chassis certification / know FMCSA rules / wheel end / brake / tire / electrical training a plus.
- Ability to travel a plus.
- Bi-lingual (English and Spanish) a plus.